Sunday, August 1, 2010

Healthy Eating: Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free??

Lately, it seems that everywhere I look, different diets are being touted as making huge changes in overall health.  Some of the special needs parenting sites I follow have talked about changing their children's diets and seeing positive results (usually these are gluten free).  Just this week, one of the characters in a book I was reading was a vegan chef.

It's hard to know if these are "fads" like the carbohydrate thing that was going on a few years ago or not.  I don't want to be the kid who jumps in with both feet and then finds that I'm in water over my head.  I've started to look at information on vegan diets.  I'm not lying, it would be a huge change.  The benefits in terms of reducing the risk of heart disease and diabetes alone would be a good reason to try it.

Is there any one out there who is currently following a vegetarian, vegan or gluten free diet?  I would really love to talk to someone real who has made this kind of change.  Any suggestions, tips or reference sites would be much appreciated!

Don't worry, this isn't something I'm going to jump into all at once.  I'm strictly gathering information right now.  I imagine that this kind of change is one that would have to happen gradually, but I need to find out more.  I found some interesting books on amazon.ca.  If you know a book that would be helpful for starting a vegan diet, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am glad to hear you are interested in becoming vegan. I dabbled with being a vegetarian for years, but finally took the plunge to vegan six months ago. Great books to help with vegan cooking ideas and beginning that lifestyle are The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone and The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen. I also posted a "vegan myth" serious on my blog as well as many vegan recipes to try. Check out www.trehops.com. Another recommendation I have is to begin with transition products. By this I mean, Tuffuti cream cheese, other vegan cheeses, Tofurky lunch meat, veggie burgers, Gardein products, etc. These will make the transition a lot easier because you won't feel like you are missing out on meat if you tend to eat a lot of it now. Then from there you can gradually go into full vegan and you'll find it fun to come up with your own recipes. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment! Lots of great information. I'll check out the books this week at the library and I'll be sure to look at your blog. I'm glad to know there are transition products available. I was a little nervous about jumping in too fast and not sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete