Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Getting Fit: Back to Exercise with my Wii Fit

We had to go out of town for the weekend and we ended up staying in a hotel. Why is it that hotel bathrooms feature huge mirrors? The bathroom is tiny, but you get out of the shower and you are face to face with the truth about how your body looks naked. What I saw was not pretty.

mirrors

I've been focusing my energy lately on being healthier through diet and chiropractic. Now it's time to get back to exercising. I cannot go on as I am. I'm afraid to start though, because I don't want to fail again. I don't want to start only to burn out and gain back anything I lose plus more. I have to do something. Baby steps, right?

One thing I am especially proud of this weekend is the fact that I wore a bathing suit in public without worrying about how I looked or what people thought of me. I took my nephew and my daughters to a water park and we spent a couple of hours in the wave pool. I didn't cover up and I didn't hide in the deep end. I was out there playing with my daughters, and feeling pretty good about it. Being a mother of 2 girls, I am very aware that I have to be careful of the body image I display for them. My oldest told me a couple weeks ago that her two piece swimsuit made her look fat--this child is skin and bones and likely underweight and she thinks she's fat! There is something wrong with that and I don't want to fuel that kind of thinking in our house. So getting physically fit is something that I'm doing for my daughters as well as myself.

I dusted off my WiiFit tonight and surprised myself by doing 15 minutes of aerobic activity and then doing a 30 minute bike ride. I wasn't planning on doing that long on the bike, but I guess the last time I used it (240 days ago), it was set at 30 minutes. I sweat a lot, but it wasn't exceedingly difficult. The last 10 minutes seemed to take longer than anything else. I am sure my legs will feel a bit sore tomorrow.

You may remember my post Dear Wii Fit from last year when I...ahem....ranted about the fact that the Wii Fit nags me about my feet not being in the rectangular boxes on the board. Well, it's still the case. Apparently my feet are still fat. Maybe one day Wii Fit will get a clue. Until then, I'll just put up with the annoyance.

Wii Fit billboard, NYC 7/12/08 - 2 of 4

No comments:

Post a Comment